Welcome to James's Online Astronomy Journal.
- #1 Hanging out with my wife and son
- The Rest: Street Hockey, Photography, DIY Projects, Volunteering, Cooking(especially BBQ!), Dining Out and most recently Looking up at the Sky with my first telescope(8" Skywatcher Dob - Love IT!)
- P.O.D., Newsboys, David Crowder Band, Paul Baloche, Chris Tomlin, Hillsong, United, U2, Thomas Newman, Holly Cole Trio, Harry Connick Jr., Colin James, Van Halen
Favorite TV Shows:
- Star Trek(TOS), CSI, Law & Order:SVU, Heroes, Ultimate Fighter, Two and a Half Men, Survivor, Monday Night Football, Mythbusters, Survivorman, How It's Made, Hockey Night in Canada
- Shawshank Redemption, Cast Away, Saving Private Ryan, Titanic, U-571, Apollo 13, Transformers, The Alien Series, Twister, Army of Darkness, An American Werewolf in London, Back to the Future Series, Unforgiven, The Passion Of The Christ, Blade Runner, Indiana Jones Series
- The Bible, The Backyard Astronomer's Guide, Nightwatch
- Proverbs 3: 5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your
Favorite Sky Object
As I've only been observing a little over 3 months now I have 3 favourite targets:
- The moon, it's absolutely breathtaking
- I've seen Jupiter and all four Jovian moons, stunning!
Experience: < 1 Year
Astrophotography: Yes, I do take pictures through my telescope
Where I live
Comments about where I live
I live in the East End of our city with my wife of almost 10 years and our beautiful 6 year old son Adrian. It is a rather heavily light polluted area with many tall trees and town homes making the horizon impossible to view. My backyard faces SSW and I can't see anything below 15-20o.
There is a street light in the right rear corner of my yard making it difficult to view anything in that area. I've had some success viewing objects higher up in the sky - the moon is rarely a problem and I've have some stunning views of Saturn this past month(May 2009).
I have yet to venture out to a dark observing site but there are quite a few that are highly recommended by other local amateurs. I'm hoping to at some point soon.