primary objective was to test the mount to make sure that the issues I was having at OSP were not recurring. Thank God everything was fine!
I wasn't planning on doing any serious shooting tonight as the moon is 80% full and it was supposed to cloud over.
It just so happened that I used as a test subject a target I've never shot before: NGC 6888, The Crescent Nebula. I shot it for 30 minutes with 5 minute subs and tracking was moving along swimmingly. PHD was showing a pretty constant .28 RMS.
After the Meridian Flip I decided to keep shooting it, but pop in the Ha filter and try for some 10 and 20 minute exposures. The wind picked up here and there and over the course of the next 3 hours I ended with an RMS of .32.
So the mount was working just fine and I shot 3 hours and 30 minutes HaRGB of The Crescent while I was testing. To my surprise, my "test shot" turned out quite nice and is "a keeper" as they say. Yay! The Crescent was 74 degrees away from the moon tonight.
The Crescent Nebula - NGC 6888
I love when a test turns out to be a great shot!
Scope: Vixen ED103S with WO Flat 2 0.8x FR/FF
Mount: Orion Sirius EQ-G with GoTo
Guiding: Meade DSI Pro and PHD Guiding
Guide Scope: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD
Camera: Canon EOS 1000D (Modified)w/Astronomik 12nm EOS Clip-In Filter
Special Settings: None
Exposure: 3 hours Ha (a bunch of shots at either 600s or 1200s), 30 minutes RGB (6 x 300s)
Processing Software: Acquired in Nebulosity with high dithering, Calibration, Stacking and DDP in Images Plus, Levels, Curves, Astronomy Tools and Noise Ninja in Photoshop
Support Files: 40 flats, 40 bias, 12 darks
See Gallery Below For Image